- How do I apply to the program?
If you are a current GEOS student, please let a staff member know of your intentions to join the Pathways Program at least 12 weeks prior to the date in which you wish to start college or university. For students who are considering GEOS, please contact us with your request. We will respond to you and give you Pathway Partner options (if you haven't chosen a school beforehand) for the program you wish to study. Once you have chosen a program and school, we will begin the full application process outlined below in point 4.
- What are the admission requirements for the Pathways Program?
The admission requirements will vary based on what program you wish to study, which school you wish to go, and which degree/diploma you wish to pursue. Some schools will let you advance after successful completion of level 5 or 6 in our schools while others will require a specific TOEFL iBT, IELTS, or internal university score. Please contact us for information specific to your situation.
- How much does it cost to come to your school?
For GEOS, it depends on what program you wish to take. Please view GEOS' fee schedule. For the Pathway Partner Institute you choose, fees will vary too. It is recommended that you check with the institute for exact details.
- When should I register and when do I have to pay?
For GEOS, the earlier you register, the earlier your place is confirmed in the school. We want to accept all students, but if all classes are full, we might not be able to accept your application.
Here is the order of the application:
- You send your application form.
- We send official invoices.
- You can make payment by bank transfer or credit card (Visa/Mastercard). If you are already in the city, you may also make payment with cash or a personal cheque.
- We will send your official letter of acceptance and book your accommodation (if you have asked for this).
For our Pathway Partner Institutes, the payment schedule may vary from institution to institution. Please check with the school and/or GEOS for more information.
- When can I start my courses?
English students can start their courses on any Monday. French students who are beginners will need to start their courses on the required course start dates, while French students who are NOT beginners can also start their courses on any Monday. Our Pathway Partner universities and colleges have specific start dates so be sure to plan accordingly.
- Can I get a Letter of Acceptance or I-20 from a Pathway Partner Institute if I am registered at GEOS?
If you plan to study at GEOS, you can get a conditional Letter of Acceptance from the majority of our Pathway Partner Institutes. Each college/university have slightly different documentation requirements so please consult with a GEOS staff member to get full details.
- How long do I need to study at GEOS before I can go to a college or university?
It depends on your English level now and the English level required by the university or college. You may need to study more to reach the required English level for the Pathway Program. We can give you a free level check on the first day of, or prior to, your arrival at GEOS and custom-make a study plan for you.
- How long is each English level in GEOS?
12 weeks. Some students may advance after 8 weeks if teacher recommendations, attendance, and academic requirements are met.
- When should I tell GEOS I want to use the Pathways Program to go to a college or university?
At least 12 weeks in advance. GEOS needs this time to help with your application and to ensure your academic requirements are met. You will need to plan your studies around university start dates.
- Can I study in any degree or diploma program at the Pathway Partner Institute?
You can study in most programs, but there may be some restrictions based on admission requirements excluding English requirements. This is particularly true in the case of students interested in pursuing a Master's Degree. GEOS can help you find this information.
- How long does it take to get a college diploma or university degree?
From 2 to 4 years. This will depend on the program you pursue and your own study schedule.
- Is a college diploma as valuable as a university degree?
It does depend on what you wish to study. For many students a college diploma is more budget-friendly; many students prefer to have a college diploma as it is often seen as more practical with more "hands-on" experience than a university degree.
- Is it possible to get a Bachelor's Degree from a college?
Yes. You can transfer your college credits to a university after you complete your 1st year of college.
- What universities can I transfer to if I want to transfer from a college to get a Bachelor's Degree?
The university options will depend on the articulation agreements (transfer agreements) between your college of choice and the universities. Some colleges have articulation agreements with a large number of universities. We recommend that students meet with counselors at their target college and visit the college's website to get full details about the school's transfer options.
- How many of my college credits can I transfer to university?
The number of transferable credits will vary based on the college you attend and the university you transfer to. Students must meet with counselors at their target college to determine which courses to take. GEOS cannot provide this information.
- Can I enter the Pathway Partner Institutes anywhere in Canada or the USA?
Yes. You can apply to any of our Pathway Partner institutes no matter where it is; however, you must follow Canadian and US immigration rules if you plan to change countries. You must also follow the admission requirements of each college and university excluding English requirements.